Sunday, May 13, 2018

Refugee Resettlement Watch - Minnesota Somalis: You’re old and we are taking over






Posted by Ann Corcoran on May 13, 2018
This week Judy sent me an interesting facebook post. I’ve decided not to name the author in order to spare her further aggravation.
Normally I wouldn’t post on a social media conversation except this one rings a bell.  I’ve heard it before.
In fact in earlier years in the life of this blog, I heard it from time to time.  Somali commenters told me that this country had a lot of wide open spaces and they planned to fill it.
In fact in 2010, a Somali woman communicated with me to warn that Somalis are creating what she called Tuulas (villages) throughout some states—she mentioned Minnesota and Kansas and Maine. She said:
I have read about what is going on in Kansas and in other small towns like Maine. Somalis will turn these small towns into a largely populated Somali town, because if Minnesota is the U.S capital of Somali people then a small town or city cannot stand a chance.
And, more recently a reader (a Somali?) has told me I am old so I am to be dismissed, implying that I can’t stop the inevitable wave anyway.
So this facebook post sounds perfectly in line with what other Somalis have said to me, and are saying ...