Thursday, October 1, 2015

Sade Adebayo - AmRen: I am Black–and a Race Realist - "I have painted a negative picture of the life of a black race realist, but the truth is that a huge sigh of relief escaped my lips upon learning that blacks are intellectually disadvantaged. There is no global conspiracy to keep us down. If I work hard and abide by the law, I will succeed."


Image result for africa resources map

Why I changed and what it means for me.

My heart raced at the sight of the long sticks the three angry men were brandishing. I futilely asked my mother what was going on, as our party inside the car spoke in panicked Yoruba with the group outside. It was my first visit to Nigeria. My mother, uncle, grandmother and I were driving to a village hours away from Lagos when three men stepped into the middle of the road. We had to screech to a halt to avoid hitting them. To this day, I don’t know what those men wanted, but given that, according to the UN’s 2010 figures, 61 percent of the population lives on less than a dollar a day, I’d bet they wanted money–or the car.
From the moment I set foot in Nigeria, it was easy to see why my parents had left. My mother and I had to pay bribes to pass safely through the airport. Beggars walked around outside the airport asking travelers for money. It was not uncommon to see people squatting on the side of the road defecating. The gash on my uncle’s head corroborated his story about being robbed and pistol whipped. A billboard in Lagos read in pigeon English, “AIDS. No dey show da face.” (Translation: You can’t tell a person has AIDS by looking at them.)
I was born in 1990 in the United States, about a year after my parents arrived. They brought with them a couple of suitcases, my older brother, and big dreams for the future. In less than 25 years, they have managed to establish a medical practice and build a home for their six-person family. Their hard work knows no limits, but their tolerance and understanding do. They cannot comprehend how their first-generation American daughter became a race realist.
My views are no different from the average AR reader. I accept that the cause of the one-standard-deviation difference in the average IQ scores of blacks and whites is primarily genetic. I am convinced that blacks tend to have different dispositions from whites and East Asians–also for genetic reasons. And most importantly, I believe that all people have the right to associate with whomever they please, and that given this option most will choose their own race.
I did not come to these conclusions overnight. ...