Thursday, May 26, 2016

Huffpost - DePaul / DeAppalling University Admins Surrender to Violent Protesters, Shutter Event - "Years of inaction by university administrators has left radical student activists feeling they are immune from the law."




Breitbart


If you know a good constitutional law professor, please introduce me to her. I’m confused about the First Amendment, and I need answers.
Until yesterday, for example, I never realized that forcibly shutting down a private speaking event was considered free speech. I was also surprised to learn that assaulting a police officer is now a form of protest. It certainly never occurred to me that making violent threats towards a speaker was a constitutionally protected right. In fact, I was pretty confident all three of these acts were illegal . . . highly illegal.
Yet, yesterday I saw radical protestors do all three of these things, without consequence. DePaul University administrators looked on dispassionately, as if this was an every-day occurrence. Watching this all unfold, I had to wonder for a moment whether DePaul administrators were defending some bizarre form of free speech I had never heard of.
They weren’t. They knew they were tolerating a dangerous suppression of speech, but in the face of adversity they chose to do the easy thing, rather than the just thing. As usual.
Years of inaction by university administrators has left radical student activists feeling they are immune from the law.  ...