Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Teaching Tolerance: 'How white parents should talk to their young kids about race' - As one reader re-titled it: "How White parents should discuss race. . . once they move out to the suburbs."


Teaching Tolerance

How white parents should talk to their young kids about race

diverse playground.

Last summer, my family moved from Brooklyn to a small town in the Hudson Valley. We love our new life, but one thing about the community is not so great: It’s predominantly white. You can't make this stuff up! What will it mean in the long run if my white children don’t see and befriend people who come from different racial backgrounds? And are there steps I can take to instill racial sensitivity and acceptance in my kids despite the fact that they’re growing up in an ethnic bubble?
To find out, I dug into research on the causes of racial bias and talked to developmental and social psychologists, race-relations researchers, and Africologists. Sounds so much better than shuck-and-jiveologist. The good news is that the answer seems to be yes—there are things I can do to keep my kids from harboring racial prejudice. Namely, I can talk to them about race. . . .