Monday, July 13, 2015

James Edwards - TPC - Memphis: Southerners Rally to Defend Their Heroes - "I felt as though they were all family and that’s why those who hate us can’t understand our unwillingness to abandon our customs and symbols. We are incapable of forgetting who we are. It’s personal."


Southerners Rally to Defend Their Heroes

James Edwards with two members of the League of the South.

After the anti-Southern hysteria that has swept through the media and government in recent weeks I felt a pressing need to do something active. Of course, it’s not as if our rulers didn’t hate the South and any symbol of our unique identity before the murders that took place in Charleston, but they have fully exploited the tragedy in order to launch an attempt to eradicate the Confederate flag and any memory of the cause for which it stood. Their efforts have been particularly harsh in Memphis, where the local government unanimously passed a resolution to dig up and move the remains of General Nathan Bedford Forrest and his wife, and to remove the monument that sits atop their graves.
My great-great-great-grandfather rode with Forrest at Shiloh. I could not let this shocking display of contempt go unanswered. When I read the news of this plan to desecrate the grave of an American hero, I was reminded of Forrest’s own admonition: “Get there first with the most men.” I had organized rallies in Memphis before and was determined to do so again. But, rather than rush in I reached out to acquaintances with similar interests. As it turns out, a pro-Forrest rally was already being planned by Southern patriots and it made sense to join forces and use my radio program to provide auxiliary support and help turn out a larger crowd.
As soon as the local media found out that I was promoting the event I was inundated with requests to appear for interviews. I politely declined because this event was about Nathan Bedford Forrest. The last thing I wanted was to let my involvement overshadow the real story. At the event itself I asked all reporters to talk with those who had assembled because they were the ones who made the gathering so successful.
The media, however, were not alone in contacting me. Late last week, a detective with the Memphis Police Department’s branch of the Office of Homeland Security called on me. He was very courteous, but conveyed to me that there had suddenly arisen a problem with the permit we had secured to hold the event. Apparently, DHS had been monitoring our “social media presence” and guessed we might turn out a much larger crowd than was originally expected. I was told in no uncertain terms to stop promoting the event on my radio program and website. I was persuaded to comply.
I have a great deal of respect for the badge. My father worked as a police officer at one time before transferring to the fire department where he later retired as a captain. The agent that I spoke to was very polite, but I can’t help but wonder what really prompted their interest. In my experience, getting a permit to hold a peaceful gathering at a park is a mere formality. As a citizen, you have the right to assemble on public property, no questions asked. To my knowledge, the only reason a permit is required is to ensure that no one else is planning a conflicting event at the same place and time.
By Sunday morning, the day of the rally, I had no idea what to expect. ...