Thursday, December 1, 2016

Refugee Resettlement Watch Monthly round-up for November 2016 - Top issues: Muslims for Poughkeepsie; Rejected AUS refugees to US scam; Nikki Haley fox in chicken coop? --tma






Posted by Ann Corcoran on December 1, 2016
marching-men
For those of you who love facebook. We do have a facebook page where I post maybe once or twice a day and a colleague occasionally posts some related news. It has over 35,000 likes and you can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/RefugeeInfoResource
What a month! We have much to be thankful for!
As regular readers know, I try to report weekly and sometimes monthly about what posts readers found most interesting (interesting enough to spread far and wide), what countries our readers are coming from, and give new readers tips on finding stuff here at RRW which in 2017 will be TEN years old.
I’m going to give you first the Top Three Most Read Posts of the Month, then the countries as I usually do, then I want to talk about a few things regarding subscriptions and comments which you can read or not read! (Top daily posts are in the right hand side bar)
By the way, when there is a terrorist attack by a Muslim migrant our numbers boom, but since the Ohio Somali Slasher attack happened so late in the month it won’t show up in the top three this month.
This is the only post I plan to write today, unless some news earthquake happens regarding the Refugee Program later in the day.

Top Three Posts for the month of November 2016:

Heads up Poughkeepsie, New York: ‘Christian’ charity to bring you Syrian Muslims likely before January 2017

Donald Trump, please try to stop this now! We are about to take 1,800 failed asylum seekers that Australia has rejected

SC Governor Nikki Haley should not be Secretary of State

On the third top post, you know by now that Haley will be UN Ambassador which I don’t think bodes well for severing any ties with the UN or reducing the refugee flow. We will see!

Here, in descending order, are the Top Ten Countries (excluding the US) from which readers arrived at RRW:

Canada
UK
Australia
Germany
Norway
South Africa
India
France
Netherlands
Malaysia
I think this is the first time Malaysia is in the Top Ten. You should know we are processing large numbers of refugees destined for your towns through Malaysia (a Muslim country).
About comments, subscriptions and keeping up with the news on refugees:
On comments, as mentioned previously, because I screen all comments and I’m not always at the computer, sometimes your comments don’t get posted promptly. Additionally my rule has always been: no talk of violence, no foul language and no personal ad hominem attacks on other commenters.  But, I want to talk about something else, please don’t write a book with loads and loads of links because I can’t always check all of  your links. Frankly I would rather be researching and writing more news with my limited time.
And, let me be clear, I am a supporter of the nation of Israel and since I don’t have to be fair and balanced (heck, a blog like this is by definition, a representation of my views), I am not posting harangues against Israel or Jews in general. The Refugee Program is not a Jewish conspiracy on America, but increasingly I am getting comments along those lines which I have no intention of posting.
On subscriptions, I’m increasingly hearing that some of you have trouble subscribing, or that you do subscribe and eventually don’t get the e-mail notifications.  There is nothing I can do about this because this is something WordPress does automatically. I contacted them and was told it might have to do with your settings and your spam settings, but frankly it is gobbledygook to me.  I recommend you simply visit RRW directly every day or so and see what is new by scrolling back through the previous days.  While you are here, use some of the other features on this page (like the twitter feed in the right hand side bar)!
On keeping up with the news on this issue, honestly there is way too much happening and it is hard for me to keep up too! When I can’t write about everything breaking every day, I rely on twitter to get it out to you (I am lousy at facebook).  So, I highly recommend twitter as a way to keep up with all breaking news. Assuming you are a news junkie, if you follow certain key people when you get up in the morning or during the day, you will have news faster than even Drudge provides, or certainly faster than Fox News or other cable news. I am @refugeewatcher with over 5,600 followers at the moment.
Apologies to all for not being able to see and respond to all of your e-mails (I’m working on that today).  And, I do appreciate your donations and I need to get to work on more thank you notes too!
For new readers who want to know how to use RRW, and so as not to make this post any longer, I’m directing you to the new readers section of my October round-up, here.
Thank you for continuing to read RRW and for your work to educate your communities on the UN/US Refugee Admissions Program.