Saturday, May 23, 2015

VDare - Peter Brimelow - Immigration: Is This The Breaking Point? Part One–“All It Would Take Is One Speech”


Immigration: Is This The Breaking Point?
Embedded image permalink
Thank you Jared. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Jared has been kind enough to invite me to speak at American Renaissance conferences before, but I’ve always wimped out. And I am here now because, well…John F. Kennedy said he became a war hero because“It was involuntary, they sank my boat.” That is basically what happened to me!
Of course, after Alien Nation, my 1995 book on immigration, the die was really cast. I was with Forbes Magazine at the time. Alien Nation caused a huge stink, it was denouncedreviewed twice by the New York Times and all that kind of thing; and it upset the Forbes family terribly. So it was never mentioned in Forbes Magazine—a ludicrous situation: one of the most prominent writers at Forbes, but his book is not mentioned in his own magazine.
That was kind of a bad sign! And things have continued downhill since then. For the last decade or so, I was a columnist for Dow Jones MarketWatch, writing about very arcane financial issues, never about politics. But more recently it became increasingly clear that I was being offered a choice between Mainstream Media and VDARE.com. This was irritating because, as Jared says, at my advanced age I have a young family to feed.
But at the age of 67, you get to the point where you say to yourself: if not now, when? When am I going to be actually allowed to write about the things I want to write about?
So I’ve not exactly come out of the closet, I’ve gone into the closet! Or at least the dungeon, like Jared, and Richard Spencer, and other people here. ...